[OpenAFS] script to control garbage

Bryan Howard bryan@alumni.caltech.edu
Mon, 4 Aug 2008 09:15:19 -0700 (PDT)

systems@bii.a-star.edu.sg wrote:
> if n is 10 days
>
> find /myvolume -mtime +10 -exec mv {} /myarchive \;

That seems a bit over-simplified.  I think most folks would be
surprised when whole directory trees suddenly got moved to the
archive even though files within those trees had changed recently.

At *least* give them this:

find /myvolume -type f -mtime +10 -exec mv {} /myarchive \;

Then we should probably at least mention that find can be a real
problem in AFS space due to the possibility of volume mounting loops.
Since *users* can make volume mount points, this is actually quite
likely.  You'll need to build a custom find executable which
understands AFS mount points and keeps track of which volumes it's
already traversed.

{Bryan}
--=20
Bryan D Howard