[OpenAFS] Re-using Drive on New Server

Steven Jenkins steven.jenkins@gmail.com
Fri, 8 Aug 2008 14:12:47 -0400

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Jason C. Wells <jcw@highperformance.net> wrote:
> I have created a new Openafs server using Debian.  I have moved the physical
> drive containing the AFS partitions and volumes into the new server.  I have
> mounted the partitions /vicepa and /vicepb.  vos listvol shows 3 offLine
> volumes on /vicepa and 9 offLine volumes on /vicepb.

Those will need to be salvaged via bos salvage.

> I didn't grab a list of volumes/mountpoints before I retired the old server.

Fortunately, the vldb  has that for you.  If you run

vos listvldb -server $old-server

you can find out that information.  To get the information properly
updated in the volume location server, you can run:

vos syncvldb -server $new-server

which will update your VLDB with updated location information for the
volumes that are now residing on your new server.

By the way, the mappings between filenames and volumes won't change --
all that needs to change is the location information in the VLDB
(i.e., the mappings between volumes and servers serving those
volumes), so once you do the vos syncvldb, you should be able to
access your data as before.  However, there are some circumstances
where you would need to run an 'fs checkvolumes' on each client --
from your description, that won't be needed in your case, but you
might take a look at that man page to understand where it might be
needed.

--
Steven Jenkins
End Point Corporation