[OpenAFS] Re-using Drive on New Server

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Sat, 9 Aug 2008 01:28:33 -0400

> There is a wealth of functionality in AFS.  I opine that software from CMU
> heritage are overly complicated.  After I come to learn them better, I see
> why they are the way they are.  Still, they are quite complex.

Cyrus used to be dead simple but people wanted more performance and
features. Looking at how Cyrus evolved (which it did between when I
started running it and the period at which I maintained it) was
instructional at understanding how AFS got where it is, and has
instilled fear in me, perhaps not enough, perhaps too much. It depends
who you ask.

> My new Debian server is up and running.  Don't tell my FreeBSD friends, but
> I might have to switch my desktop to Debian. The OpenAFS client would be the
> reason.

Someday I'd like to think we will have a FreeBSD client port.

Robert Watson recently shared something which makes me believe it may
be more rewarding than I thought, too.

Derrick