[OpenAFS] Additional fileserver on Debian

Stefan Strandberg stefan@cae.wisc.edu
Tue, 12 Aug 2008 10:34:24 -0500

Hi,

We have an existing AFS installation on 3 aging sun machines.  My goal
is to phase them out and replace them with vmware virtual servers, with
storage on an iscsi device.  I've set up one test machine, prepared the
iscsi disk to have /vicepa, b, and c, and installed openafs-fileserver
on it.  (Debian Etch)

I have copied the files from one of the sun machines into
/etc/openafs/the appropriate subdirectory, and run the following
command:
 bos create <host> fs fs -cmd /usr/lib/openafs/fileserver \
  -cmd /usr/lib/openafs/volserver \
  -cmd /usr/lib/openafs/salvager -localauth

from README.servers in the debian package, obviously substituting my
server name.

It is running bosserver, and responds to queries for its logs, e.g.
bos getlog <host> BosLog
from a different machine returns the log, but it doesn't seem to be
seeing its partitions.  I have made sure that the bosserver was started
after the iscsi filesystems were mounted, and also openafs seems to have
created its "Lock" directories on each of /vicepa - c.  However,
vos listvol <server>
shows no partitions, and attempting to create a volume on any /vicepX
fails.

I'm kind of at a loss here, and I'm not familiar with the server end of
openafs, so I'm guessing I have missed something basic.  If anybody has
any advice at all, that would be greatly appreciated since I seem to be
stuck.

Thanks,

-stefan

--