[OpenAFS] OpenAFS 1.4.7 (namei, libafs64.o) + Solaris 10 x86 u5 + NFS write = crash & reboot

Lee Damon nomad@ssli-mail.ee.washington.edu
Wed, 13 Aug 2008 14:56:21 -0700

I've been working on a Sun x4500 (thumper) running Solaris 10 x86 (u5)
and OpenAFS 1.4.7.  I was able to make it crash & reboot reliably with
the simple expedient of

1. NFS exporting any filesystem (UFS or ZFS) from the x4500.

2. NFS (v3) mounting the filesystem to a RHEL 4 (u5 or u6, doesn't
matter) box.  Note that the problem doesn't happen under NFSv4.

3. On the RHEL box touch (or cp, edit, rm, or any other write) a file on
the NFS mounted filesystem.  Boom, instant panic on the x4500 NFS server.

Sun finally got around to looking at the core files (Sun's report is
attached).  After reading their report I rebooted the x4500 with AFS
turned off and sure enough, the panic went away.

I then replaced /kernel/fs/afs with libafs64.nonfs.o (on the x4500) and
rebooted.  No crash upon NFS write attempt.

This problem report brought to you by the letter "hoping to help others
avoid the same problem" and the number "NFS still sucks!"

nomad