[OpenAFS] Windows AFS client initialization delays

John Perkins john@cs.wisc.edu
Tue, 19 Aug 2008 17:52:50 -0500

I've been seeing some initialization issues with the 1.5.5X OpenAFS
clients recently on some computers we have running in our department.
In particular, it seems to take an inordinate amount of time to get the
AFS client to a point where it will accept file service requests.

This afternoon, I loaded the 1.5.52 client.  The problem I'm seeing
is that it will take 5-10 minutes before the SMB redirector is willing to
serve files on the computer.  afsd_init.log indicates a delay between
tweaking the Windows Firewall and logging various preset mountpoints.

I've left an "fs trace" log and afsd_init.log in
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~john/winafs-logs for those who feel they might
have some insight into this problem (and spare those who don't want to
look through lengthy log files).  I'm willing to post them here upon
request.

The Windows clients I've been working with lately are running XP SP3,
if that makes a difference.

Any pointers, or even additional debugging requests, would be greatly
appreciated...

   John Perkins			  |   University of Wisconsin-Madison
   Researcher		  	  |   Department of Computer Science
   john@cs.wisc.edu		  |   1210 W. Dayton St.
   608-262-0438/608-262-6626 FAX  |   Madison, WI  53706-1685