[OpenAFS] Windows AFS client refuses to start.

Thu, 28 Aug 2008 13:35:10 -0400

Anders Magnusson wrote:
> What may be causing this, can it happen anytime?

Fragmentation of the process memory space is dependent upon what
is installed on the machine that is hooking itself into the
afsd_service.exe process memory space.

It won't randomly happen.

> And how little memory
> may it be
> available?

Totally dependent upon where DLLs are instructed by the developers
to load themselves into memory.

> Also, wouldn't it be better if afsd just complained in the
> log and resized the > cache file to something smaller that worked?

I don't think so.  I think that if you have applications injecting
themselves into your processes' memory space that you should figure
out what they are.  they could be something unwanted.

If I resize the cache I must flush it.  That could be just as painful
as not being able to load it depending on your network availability.

Jeffrey Altman