[OpenAFS] collective wisdom about limits on volume sizes?

Jim Rowan jmr@qualcomm.com
Fri, 19 Dec 2008 12:00:30 -0600

Hi,

In the old days, AFS admins made lots of very small volumes.  A few GB
was considered large.  One of the limits I was aware of was being able
to get the volume successfully backed up, and another involved
successfully moving it between servers.

I'm out of touch with what the state-of-the-art allows today....
anyone care to offer advice?

How big can we make volumes and have everything still "just work"?

What issues might we run into as we grow volume sizes?

(For this, let's presume that we're running some new version of
openAFS; this is a hypothetical question...)

Thanks!
Jim