[OpenAFS] Problem with OpenAFS on Vista x86

Paul Accisano shiningmasamune@gmail.com
Wed, 31 Dec 2008 13:20:53 -0500

Greetings all,

I'm trying to get OpenAFS working on my Vista laptop, and it's giving me
a serious headache.  The installation went okay, but when I try to get
tokens, I get the following error message:
-- The AFS Client was unable to obtain tokens as [username] in cell
[cell address].
-- Error 11862791 (AFS service may not have started)

The service is definitely running, according to the client window.  If
enter the wrong password, I get a "password incorrect" error, so it's at
least recognizing my account.  One thing I think may be related to the
problem: at the top of the client window, it says
-- Currently logged on to Windows Networking as ""

In an older version, (which I tried installing for the hell of it), it says
-- Currently logged on to Windows Networking as "(unknown)"

where as on my XP box, it correctly lists my username.  I hope this
helps.  This is really driving my nuts; I've googled and googled but I
can't find a solution...  Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks,
Paul A.