[OpenAFS] Problem with OpenAFS on Vista x86

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Wed, 31 Dec 2008 13:35:37 -0500

Paul Accisano wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I'm trying to get OpenAFS working on my Vista laptop, and it's giving
> me a serious headache.  The installation went okay, but when I try to
> get tokens, I get the following error message:
> -- The AFS Client was unable to obtain tokens as [username] in cell
> [cell address].
> -- Error 11862791 (AFS service may not have started)
>
> The service is definitely running, according to the client window.  If
> enter the wrong password, I get a "password incorrect" error, so it's
> at least recognizing my account.  One thing I think may be related to
> the problem: at the top of the client window, it says
> -- Currently logged on to Windows Networking as ""
>
> In an older version, (which I tried installing for the hell of it), it
> says
> -- Currently logged on to Windows Networking as "(unknown)"
>
> where as on my XP box, it correctly lists my username.  I hope this
> helps.  This is really driving my nuts; I've googled and googled but I
> can't find a solution...  Can anyone give me some advice?
Hi Paul,

What program are you using to authenticate? Are you authenticating at
the windows logon screen, using afscreds (the program with the yellow
lock icon), or  Kerberos Network Identity manager ( the program with the
cube icon)?

If you aren't using the Kerberos Network Identity Manager, please try to
login using Network Identity Manager to see if the outcome changes.

Sincerely,
Jason