[OpenAFS] kmod-openafs versioning on RHEL5

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Thu, 14 Feb 2008 16:30:03 +0000

On 14 Feb 2008, at 00:49, Darren Patterson wrote:

> After building new kmod packages for the latest RHEL5 kernel I
> discovered that rpm is very unhappy with the naming convention.
> Yum refuses to install the package claiming that

> kmod-openafs-1.4.5-2.2.6.18_53.1.4.el5 is newer than

> kmod-openafs-1.4.5-1.2.6.18_53.1.13.el5.

If these are literally what you've got, then something odd has
happened. Note the leading '1' in the release string of the second
RPM name, compared to the 2 which leads the release of the first
kernel module.

In this case, RPM is doing the correct thing - it's warning you that
the kernel module for Openafs 1.4.5 (RPM release 2) is newer than the
one for OpenAFS 1.4.5 (RPM release 1). Are both RPMs built from the
same SPEC file, with the same parameters?

OpenAFS.org does have kernel modules for this kernel - kmod-
openafs-1.4.6-2.2.6.18_53.el5.i686.rpm, but we're only doing builds
for the latest OpenAFS release at the moment.

If you like, I could get our build environment to spit out a 1.4.5
module for you.

And, as a more general question (that will probably have someone
shout at me about disk space): Would it be of use if I built RPM
kernel modules for older OpenAFS releases, too?

Cheers,

Simon.