[OpenAFS] Time-out cause by volume backup

Christophe Bernard chb.pro@gmail.com
Mon, 25 Feb 2008 11:12:01 +0100

------=_Part_13533_30068211.1203934321870

We have large volumes that can take up to 7-8 minutes to backup at night
(this is the time to clone a RW volume to its read-only counterpart with a
.backup suffix before dumping).

At the same time, we have jobs running on these RW volumes reading and
writing files for over 20 hours. Interrupting these jobs is very difficult
for us.

It seems that during backup, access to files within the volume is
impossible, and the jobs then fail with a timeout error. Our system is Linux
only, with no masquerading router in between. We are using openafs-1.4.5.

What is the best way to handle this, besides switching to a local
filesystem? Is this long interruption of access to the RW volume an
intrinsic limitation of the AFS system? Is there a way to tune the AFS
client time-outs easily?

Best regards,

C. Bernard