[OpenAFS] On the wording "No space left on device"

Jeff Blaine jblaine@kickflop.net
Tue, 29 Jan 2008 13:47:29 -0500

Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> Jeff Blaine wrote:
>> We had a user complain this week about having no clue what
>> "No space left on device" meant.
>>
>> Regardless of this particular user's inability to deduce
>> that there was "NO SPACE LEFT", I like to take these
>> opportunities to consider improvements.
>>
>> "Disk, partition, or volume has insufficient free space"
>>
>> Better yet, why does it have to be so vague?  Can't it
>> determine the actual problem, at least for the 90% case
>> of quota limit?
>>
>> "Quota for volume u.jblaine has been exceeded."
>
> Which client?
 >
> Which platform?
>
> What produced the error message?

Well, the message has been there in that form for as long
as I can remember on any UNIX platform I've touched.

This was a Solaris 9 box.  The message was caused by his
home directory volume being over quota.