[OpenAFS] On the wording "No space left on device"

Marcus Watts mdw@spam.ifs.umich.edu
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:32:12 -0500

> Date:    Wed, 30 Jan 2008 12:40:50 EST
> To:      openafs-info@openafs.org
> From:    Bob Hoffman <hoffman@cs.pitt.edu>
> Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] On the wording "No space left on device"
>
> I can confirm that this error message is unchanged since at least 1979:
> Sixth Edition Unix on a PDP-11 had it.  It was errno 28 then, too.
>
> Derrick Brashear wrote:

CTSS uses the phrase "no room" in its source code.  As best I can tell,
files were pre-allocated at create time to a given size, and space was
counted against a quota set on the system.  Disk space was much more
scarce back then.

I suspect "no space" is a multics innovation.  Presumably "room" was
too "east-coast"ish.

				-Marcus Watts