[OpenAFS] 'vos' command dos not finish, file service works ok (sort of)

Steve Devine sd@msu.edu
Wed, 23 Jul 2008 14:15:46 -0400

Andreas Hirczy wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> My AFS cell works ok in most scenarios, but since a reboot of one DB-server
> last friday no vos command besides "vos help" finishes - e.g.  "vos exa
> root.afs -localauth -verbose" hangs indefinitely and does not produce any
> output. Log files are also basically empty. File access works perfectly but I
> cannot create or move volumes; no backup of course.
>
> check_bos, check_udebug on ports 7002 and 7003, check_afsspace and
> check_rxdebug from <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/afs-monitor/> all
> tell me everything is ok. Output from "udebug" also looks fine.
>
> After a restart of all our servers later today (we did have sheduled power
> outage for a few hours anyway) one of the files servers salvages at every
> restart and check_rxdebug tells me about 66 blocked connections. There is no
> sign of a hardware problem with disks (SW raid1, active and synced), the
> systems load is very low.
>
> Please provide some tips how I can find more information about our systems
> behaviour.
>
> I am running 1.4.7 from Debian unstable recompiled on Debian Stable with
> custom linux kernel 2.6.25.11. As far as i can tell the only unusual setup in
> this cell is, that DB servers are configured to a secondary IP address
> provide by fake (arp poisioning) since I have no direct control over DNS
> aliases.
>
> Best regards,
> Andreas

Sounds like firewall to me. can you run vos listvldb root.afs -localauth
on the db server?

--
Steve Devine
Email & Storage

313 Computer Center
East Lansing, MI 48824-1042
1-517-432-7327

Baseball is ninety percent mental; the other half is physical.
- Yogi Berra