[OpenAFS] Compiling on Redhat 8.0

jcw@highperformance.net jcw@highperformance.net
Sun, 27 Jul 2008 14:09:44 -0700

I am compiling 1.4.7 on Redhat 8.0.  It's working fairly well. The
service even worked. I noted that I hadn't installed a new kernel
module.  I figured that wasn't good.

So I set about getting an updated kernel module installed.  I'm
unfamiliar with building on linux.  I have kernel version 2.4.18-14.
The build creates libafs-2.4.18-14custom.o.  Apparently there is some
internal indication of the kernel version built into the module.  How
can I set that?  I see nothing that ./configure controls regarding
kernel version.

How/where do I get the SymTable?  I noticed that none is installed but
that ./init.d/afs is looking for it in /usr/vice/etc/modload.  This
SymTable is needed to determine the value of LIBAFS which is then loaded
into the kernel.

I just noticed the dates on the files of my old install.  I have been
running 1.2.8 for five years!

Regards,
Jason C. Wells