[OpenAFS] Serious trouble, mounting /afs, ptserver, database rebuilding

Stephan Wonczak a0033@rrz.uni-koeln.de
Tue, 29 Jul 2008 09:44:23 +0200 (CEST)

   Hi Kanou!

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008, kanou wrote:

<snip>
>> Don't be so unpatient, your reluctance to give proper information
> I'm sorry and I thought I was giving you all the information I found.
>
>> First of all, 2 database-servers are a really bad idea.
> Allright. I will change that.
>
>> After that, go to your boss and ask for a third database-server.
> I did and I will install a third one.

   While more redundancy (i.e. a third database server) is always a good
idea, it is not strictly necessary, much less 'a bad idea to run with two
database servers'.
   Christof probably was thinking about the 'split brain' problem, which
does not come into play with the AFS architecture; we are proof against
that one. I made a posting about this a while ago; it should be in the
archives.

 	Dipl. Chem. Dr. Stephan Wonczak

         Zentrum fuer Angewandte Informatik (ZAIK)
         Regionales Rechenzentrum der Universitaet zu Koeln (RRZK)
         Universitaet zu Koeln, Robert-Koch-Strasse 10, 50931 Koeln
         Tel: ++49/(0)221/478-5577, Fax: ++49/(0)221/478-5590