[OpenAFS] Serious trouble, mounting /afs, ptserver, database rebuilding

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery@ece.cmu.edu
Tue, 29 Jul 2008 03:48:13 -0400

On 2008 Jul 29, at 3:44, Stephan Wonczak wrote:

>  While more redundancy (i.e. a third database server) is always a
> good idea, it is not strictly necessary, much less 'a bad idea to
> run with two database servers'.
>  Christof probably was thinking about the 'split brain' problem,
> which does not come into play with the AFS architecture; we are
> proof against that one. I made a posting about this a while ago; it
> should be in the archives.

Actually he's thinking about a screw condition that used to happen
with voting for a sync site if you have 2 database servers and the
lower-IP-numbered one goes missing.  I *think* it has been fixed now.

--
brandon s. allbery [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell] allbery@kf8nh.com
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu