[OpenAFS] Documentation to install openAFS in NokiaN800

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Sat, 15 Mar 2008 15:24:43 -0400

Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> Coy Hile wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Mar 2008, Jason Edgecombe wrote:
>>

>>> BTW, all of this is for the client. Nobody has tried to run a
>>> fileserver on an N8X0...yet.  ;)
>>>

>> Give Brashear time :)
>
> In all seriousness:
>
> The real issue with running AFS Servers on a mobile device
> such as the N8xx is the transient nature of its network
> connectivity and the likelihood that it will move from network
> address to network address.
>
> Similar to the work that has been done over the last two years
> to permit mobile clients we need to define alternative mechanisms
> for clients to be able to locate servers and for servers to be
> able to register their locations.  Instead of tracking servers
> by IP address as is done today clients will need to start tracking
> servers by UUID.  The volume location database will resolve volumes
> to servers by UUID as well as their last known address.
>
> We then need a mechanism for registering UUID to address mappings
> and I'm not sure that Dynamic DNS or Bonjour are the methods
> we want to rely upon.  We might want to deploy our own server location
> service that performs the mapping of {cell,UUID} to IP address.
>
> There is absolutely a nice research project for someone to work on here.
I welcome any improvements such as this. In the mean time, I could see
some purpose of running a fileserver on a mobile device if it stays in
one place for a while. This might be useful for conferences or local
gatherings of people and demonstrating openafs, but probably not for
full-time production data.

What are the plans for mobile fileservers, if any? Are we assuming
stable & static cell/DB servers or more ad-hoc models? With an ad-hoc
model how would you decide to trust the server when there is no
authoritative DNS available? Is there a plan for some type of PKI-like
model where a server can prove it's identity when it's address changes
and the cell servers aren't static or aren't available.

Jason