[OpenAFS] Public Cell as Sandbox

Jason C. Wells jcw@highperformance.net
Sat, 22 Mar 2008 17:58:38 -0700

Fred Bartlett wrote:
> I am new to AFS and just wanted to try using the client without having
> to setup a full cell. Is there any public cell out there where I can get
> some type of Guest account just to try it out on? Thanks

With the default CellSrvDB you will have variety of cells to choose
from.  I'm pretty sure CMU has a public area as does MIT.  Oh yeah,
OpenAFS.org does too.  Any cell that has a directory that allows
anonymous access will allow you to snoop around and just try it out.

The one thing you might be missing is that AFS has a global namespace.
That means that anyone participating in the global namespace is visible
under /afs (or \\afs on Windows).  Once your client is running you will
see every cell that wants to be seen.  Simply change to a directory and
if you are granted access, then you are in like Flint.

Regards,
Jason