[OpenAFS] Public Cell as Sandbox

Fred Bartlett fred0sta@gmail.com
Sat, 22 Mar 2008 22:08:45 -0800

------=_Part_9607_31557688.1206252525331

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Jason C. Wells <jcw@highperformance.net>
wrote:

> Fred Bartlett wrote:
> > I am new to AFS and just wanted to try using the client without having
> > to setup a full cell. Is there any public cell out there where I can get
> > some type of Guest account just to try it out on? Thanks
>
> With the default CellSrvDB you will have variety of cells to choose
> from.  I'm pretty sure CMU has a public area as does MIT.  Oh yeah,
> OpenAFS.org does too.  Any cell that has a directory that allows
> anonymous access will allow you to snoop around and just try it out.
>
> The one thing you might be missing is that AFS has a global namespace.
> That means that anyone participating in the global namespace is visible
> under /afs (or \\afs on Windows).  Once your client is running you will
> see every cell that wants to be seen.  Simply change to a directory and
> if you are granted access, then you are in like Flint.
>
> Regards,
> Jason

Excellent, much thanks.

------=_Part_9607_31557688.1206252525331

&gt; I am new to AFS and just wanted to try using the client without having<br>
&gt; to setup a full cell. Is there any public cell out there where I can get<br>
&gt; some type of Guest account just to try it out on? Thanks<br>
from. &nbsp;I&#39;m pretty sure CMU has a public area as does MIT. &nbsp;Oh yeah,<br>
OpenAFS.org does too. &nbsp;Any cell that has a directory that allows<br>
anonymous access will allow you to snoop around and just try it out.<br>
The one thing you might be missing is that AFS has a global namespace.<br>
That means that anyone participating in the global namespace is visible<br>
under /afs (or \\afs on Windows). &nbsp;Once your client is running you will<br>
see every cell that wants to be seen. &nbsp;Simply change to a directory and<br>
if you are granted access, then you are in like Flint.<br>
Regards,<br>

------=_Part_9607_31557688.1206252525331--