[OpenAFS] Summary of recommended configuration options from the workshop

Robert Banz rob@nofocus.org
Mon, 26 May 2008 15:43:06 -0700

On May 26, 2008, at 11:59 AM, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Robert Banz <rob@nofocus.org> writes:
>
>> WHY, pray tell, are we recommending against fastrestart? I think this
>> has been one of the best options in OpenAFS to come along. Is it
>> just a
>> misunderstanding of what it does?
>
> No, it is not a misunderstanding.  Fast restart is not the right
> solution
> to the problem and is not an option that we recommend.  Demand
> attach is
> the right solution to this problem -- please test 1.5 if you can so
> that
> we can get demand attach into a stable release.

Sadly, I'm not in a position to be using AFS anymore, so I'll probably
never be in a position to enjoy the new hotness; however, with 1.4,
fastrestart is teh bomb. ;)

-rob