[OpenAFS] Summary of recommended configuration options from the workshop

Esther Filderman mizmoose@gmail.com
Mon, 26 May 2008 20:16:55 -0400

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 6:43 PM, Robert Banz <rob@nofocus.org> wrote:
> however, with 1.4, fastrestart is
> teh bomb. ;)

Yes, but it's "teh bomb" that can blow up in your face.

Remember that the salvager is there to make sure you're volumes aren't
falling apart.  With fast-restart you can theoretically find your
volumes suddenly falling out of service (or worse, serving up crap)
because of corruption.

I can see running fast-restart in limited situations.  One I've come
across recently -- servers with high availablity need and very large
sized volumes, resulting in less volumes per server.  The volumes can
then be *individually* salvaged on a regular basis with less downtime
to the server and consistency (hopefully) maintained.

That said -- I ran fast-restart for over a year, but salvaged machines
every 3-4 months just to scrape up the droppings.