[OpenAFS] Summary of recommended configuration options from the workshop

Steve Simmons scs@umich.edu
Thu, 29 May 2008 14:17:17 -0400

On May 26, 2008, at 8:16 PM, Esther Filderman wrote:

> On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 6:43 PM, Robert Banz <rob@nofocus.org> wrote:
>> however, with 1.4, fastrestart is
>> teh bomb. ;)
>>

> Yes, but it's "teh bomb" that can blow up in your face.
>
> Remember that the salvager is there to make sure you're volumes aren't
> falling apart.  With fast-restart you can theoretically find your
> volumes suddenly falling out of service (or worse, serving up crap)
> because of corruption.

I'd happily write a script/whathaveyou that looks over the unmounted
volumes and one by one salvages them. It strikes me as the kind of
things you'd want to start running 30 minutes or so after the file
server restarts. A swatch-like script that scans for volumes that need
salvage would be another win.

Recent discussion here touted the utility of doing an occasional
salvage as a best practice thing.