[OpenAFS] Summary of recommended configuration options from the workshop

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Mon, 26 May 2008 21:30:15 -0400

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Robert Banz <rob@nofocus.org> wrote:

>> fileserver:
>> -p 128 ( maximum number of threads )
>> -vattach # (greater than 1. should this be equal the number of partitions)
>> -large
>> -cb # (1 million or more callbacks)
>> no fastrestart
>> more fun options with using demand-attach
>
> WHY, pray tell, are we recommending against fastrestart? I think this has
> been one of the best options in OpenAFS to come along. Is it just a
> misunderstanding of what it does?

i explained it at the workshop, but i'll explain it again. what
autosalvages volumes which get marked offline?

worse, if you have an inode fileserver. you get to scan every inode.
once per volume group. "ow".

demand attach has the latter problem also.