[OpenAFS] Re: Proto-TAC

Evan Macbeth emacbeth@sinenomine.net
Thu, 06 Nov 2008 11:23:44 -0500

>> Absolutely and understood. I wasn't talking about replacing anything already
>> in place or the community! I was simply supporting moving the TAC from
>> "idea" to "implementation."
>
> The most important aspect of the TAC is the use of the TAC in
> combination with OpenAFS membership to generate funds that
> can be used to support the infrastructure and processes of the
> organization.

Oh, I had thought the Technical Advisory Council was responsible for
technical advice, I did not realize it was a fundraising body.

My message was merely support for the idea of moving forward with strong and
efficient technical direction for the project, and I had thought the TAC (in
"proto" or whatever form) was the entity with the best probability of
getting that done.

Yes, we need to continue using the standardization list and devel lists! But
if we're going to have a more formal organization, it just seems to make
sense to start the necessary meetings and such sooner rather than later, in
the interests of making progress on an idea that has been percolating for
quite a while.

I'll stop here, I do not want to be the source of problems or disagreements
in the group. I'm just supporting moving forward with the community's
technical direction on current and future architectural proposals in a
speedy and efficient manner. I thought a proto-TAC meeting would help with
that.

Evan
--
Evan D. Macbeth - Director