[OpenAFS] Foundation Board - Grandfather In The Elders?

Evan Macbeth emacbeth@sinenomine.net
Tue, 11 Nov 2008 16:46:57 -0500

--B_3309266817_1673672

To the AFS Community,

I had an idea on Thursday about the Foundation and the Board of Directors

This is purely my own idea speaking as an individual member of the communit=
(and a suit at that), not as a Director at Sine Nomine:

What if we decided to grandfather in the current Elders as the initial Boar=
of Directors of the Foundation?

The benefits of this idea would be 1) Shortcutting the interregnum between
the current organization and the full fledged Foundation; 2) Ensuring de
jure (as well as de facto) continuity between the current org and the
Foundation; and 3) Providing a comfort level to the community that we know
and trust those who will be in charge, as they=B9re the people currently in
charge.

There are many possible permutations of this idea:

A. Grandfather in the organizations that currently have Elders as
organizations with Seats on the Board of Directors of the Foundation, with
those seats currently occupied by the specific elders, but with the
possibility of the people being replaced by the organization holding the
seat at the organizations discretion.

B. Grandfather in the current Elders as members of the Board of Directors o=
the Foundation, with any vacancies among that group occurring later to be
filled by an election from among the community in accordance with a
democratic process to be determined.

C. Grandfather in the current Elders as members of the Board of Directors o=
the Foundation, with expansion and addition to the Board from among the
Community as the Board=B9s first agenda item for action at its first meeting.

We could even combine the above (i.e., implement A+B, or A+C, or all three
or some variant thereof).

In my opinion, it is the Board of Directors whose membership is most
critical, as the BoD has the power and responsibility to define all other
parts of the Foundation (TAC, etc). We can (and should) debate how the TAC
should work and be formed, but it is the authority of the Board of Director=
that gives the TAC its own authority, thus, we need a BoD first, and soon.

But that=B9s just how I see it, speaking for myself and not for my company.
Does anyone think this idea has value in helping get the Foundation going?

Sincerely,

Evan Macbeth

--B_3309266817_1673672

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Foundation Board - Grandfather In The Elders?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:11pt=
'>To the AFS Community,<BR>
<BR>
I had an idea on Thursday about the Foundation and the Board of Directors<B=

<BR>
This is purely my own idea speaking as an individual member of the communit=
y (and a suit at that), not as a Director at Sine Nomine:<BR>
<BR>
What if we decided to grandfather in the current Elders as the initial Boar=
d of Directors of the Foundation? <BR>
<BR>
The benefits of this idea would be 1) Shortcutting the interregnum between =
the current organization and the full fledged Foundation; 2) Ensuring de jur=
e (as well as de facto) continuity between the current org and the Foundatio=
n; and 3) Providing a comfort level to the community that we know and trust =
those who will be in charge, as they&#8217;re the people currently in charge=
.<BR>
<BR>
There are many possible permutations of this idea:<BR>
<BR>
A. Grandfather in the organizations that currently have Elders as organizat=
ions with Seats on the Board of Directors of the Foundation, with those seat=
s currently occupied by the specific elders, but with the possibility of the=
 people being replaced by the organization holding the seat at the organizat=
ions discretion.<BR>
<BR>
B. Grandfather in the current Elders as members of the Board of Directors o=
f the Foundation, with any vacancies among that group occurring later to be =
filled by an election from among the community in accordance with a democrat=
ic process to be determined.<BR>
<BR>
C. Grandfather in the current Elders as members of the Board of Directors o=
f the Foundation, with expansion and addition to the Board from among the Co=
mmunity as the Board&#8217;s first agenda item for action at its first meeti=
ng.<BR>
<BR>
We could even combine the above (i.e., implement A+B, or A+C, or all three =
or some variant thereof).<BR>
<BR>
In my opinion, it is the Board of Directors whose membership is most critic=
al, as the BoD has the power and responsibility to define all other parts of=
 the Foundation (TAC, etc). We can (and should) debate how the TAC should wo=
rk and be formed, but it is the authority of the Board of Directors that giv=
es the TAC its own authority, thus, we need a BoD first, and soon.<BR>
<BR>
But that&#8217;s just how I see it, speaking for myself and not for my comp=
any. Does anyone think this idea has value in helping get the Foundation goi=
ng?<BR>
<BR>
Sincerely,<BR>
<BR>