[OpenAFS] newbie questions

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 12:00:51 -0500

Lars Schimmer wrote:
> Papp Tamás wrote:
> > Christof Hanke wrote:
> >> Sorry you can't do that.
> >> A volume is always completely on one partition on the server.
> >> If your server partition is to small you need to move it to a
> bigger one.
> >>
> >> Once you have enough space on on the server partition , you extend a
> >> volume  by the  "fs setquota" command.
> >>
> > So, the biggest volume's size is limited to the biggest partition I can
> > make, am I right?
>
> Yes. But each directory can be a sible volume, if you want to.
> Which translate into: biggest size of a directory in AFS space is
> biggest partition size available (in the limit of number of files).
>
> > It's the opposite what I need at this moment :(
Lars is correct. Your server partition only needs to be as large as the
largest directory. In this case, the largest directory is its own volume.

If you volumes are too large to fit on one server, then split each large
directory into it's own volume. If it's static data, try using symlinks
into other directories/volumes.

Jason