[OpenAFS] Foundation Board - Grandfather In The Elders?

Esther Filderman mizmoose@gmail.com
Fri, 14 Nov 2008 10:07:54 -0800

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Evan Macbeth <emacbeth@sinenomine.net> wrote:
> To the AFS Community,
>
> I had an idea on Thursday about the Foundation and the Board of Directors
>
> This is purely my own idea speaking as an individual member of the community
> (and a suit at that), not as a Director at Sine Nomine:
>
> What if we decided to grandfather in the current Elders as the initial Board
> of Directors of the Foundation?

I am the chair of the committee that runs the elections for another
non-profit organization.  Every two years we work to find suitable
candidates, set up the slate and then run the elections themselves.

When candidates for a board of directors are chosen, the committee
looks at certain criteria:  Does this person have the time to expend
on this effort?  Does this person play well with others?  Does this
person have the goals of improving the organization?  Have they shown
a committment to the organization and do they have a broad
understanding of what it's long-term goals are?

It's not easy finding 10-15 people who fit this AND are willing, out
of a pool of about 1500 people, but we manage.

The first board was the hardest -- we had to find people who were
willing to put in the extra time to get things going, as, unlike
OpenAFS, we were starting from scratch.

By the way, our board of directors is nine people, and they work
together quite well.

Moose
not speaking for my employer or openafs or any other organization I
might belong to