[OpenAFS] client tuning using the -daemons option

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Mon, 17 Nov 2008 18:22:15 -0500

David,

It wasn't any formal benchmarking, it was the informal "pages takes 10
seconds to load, gotta fix that". I tweaked things until I wasn't
drumming my fingers waiting on pages to load.

Our production solaris web server runs with 6 daemons and 1000 stat
entries just fine. The problem server was a vmware guest under vmware
server 1.x running RHEL5.0 i386 with openafs 1.4.7. I haven't ruled out
VMware as a performance killer, but I made things tolerable with the
following options to afsd: "-daemons 16 -stat 50000 -volumes 1000". The
most significant change was the daemons option, followed by the stat
option. Increasing the cache from 100M to 1.3GB didn't help much without
the other options.

I hope that helps.

Jason