[OpenAFS] About AFS performance over WAN

Giovanni Bracco bracco@frascati.enea.it
Thu, 27 Nov 2008 11:07:27 +0100

In our institution we have an AFS cell with clients and servers distributed
over WAN. In the last year the bandwidth of the available WAN connections has
been increased up to 1 Gbit/s for some of the sites and it appears that AFS
performance over WAN is still limited to about 2-3 MB/s.

I know that this is a well know problem of the rx protocol, as shown for
example by Hartmut Reuter at the last European AFS Conference 2008
(see slide 49 from
http://www.openafs.at/drupal/files/slides/1Day_03/AFS-OSD.pdf),
due to the fixed rx window size and combined with network latencies in the
order of tenths of milliseconds.

I am aware that an activity was in  progress for a tcp version of openafs,
which probably could solve some of this problem, but  I do not know what is
the status of this activity.
More generally, what are the plans to increase the AFS performances over WAN,
to take advantage of the present day availability of high bandwith
connections?

Can someone comment about that?

Giovanni

--