[OpenAFS] 1.4.8pre2 partial success on OpenSolaris (after bugfix)

Stefan Pohl pohl@syssoft.uni-trier.de
Thu, 09 Oct 2008 20:26:50 +0200

Hi,

after applying a simple bugfix (see bug #119443, this should also be
relevant to HPUX and DUX) it is possible to load the nonfs kernelmodule
on OpenSolaris Systems. Server and client daemons can be started and
everything seems to work OK sofar. I tested this with OpenSolaris build
98 on i386 and amd64. I can't comment on stability yet, since I just
started evaluating OpenAFS for possible production use in our workgroup
and these are the first test machines.

As for the bugfix:
I simply replaced src/afs/afs_osi.h with the version from 1.4.7 release,
since the only changes between the two are the changes that caused the
breakage:

> atlas:~/downloads # diff openafs-1.4.8pre2/src/afs/afs_osi.h
> openafs-1.4.7/src/afs/afs_osi.h
> 152a153,161
> > #ifdef AFS_SGI65_ENV
> > #define    gop_lookupname(fnamep,segflg,followlink,compvpp) \
> >              lookupname((fnamep),(segflg),(followlink),NULL,(compvpp),\
> >             NULL)
> > #else
> > #define    gop_lookupname(fnamep,segflg,followlink,compvpp) \
> >              lookupname((fnamep),(segflg),(followlink),NULL,(compvpp))
> > #endif

As for the partial success:
- nfs-enabled kernel modules are not still not build (bug #119118)
- kdump is still not compiled (bug #117749)

But at least OpenAFS is now useable again on OpenSolaris.

By wading through the compiler/gmake output produced by building
OpenAFS, I noticed a couple of things and I'm not shure how serious they
are.
Please let me know if these are serious problems, and if I should file
bug-reports on them:

- in total 1847 warnings on 'implicit function declaration' of functions
like des_key_sched, ubik_Call, setpag, des_read_pw_strig, geteuid, etc.
just to mention a few of them

- compilation of fc_test.c produces following output:

/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc  -O
-I/sherman/admin_pohl/downloads/openafs-1.4.8pre2/src/config -I. -I.
-I/sherman/admin_pohl/downloads/openafs-1.4.8pre2/include
-I/sherman/admin_pohl/downloads/openafs-1.4.8pre2/include/afs
-I/sherman/admin_pohl/downloads/openafs-1.4.8pre2/include/rx
-I/sherman/admin_pohl/downloads/openafs-1.4.8pre2
-I/sherman/admin_pohl/downloads/openafs-1.4.8pre2/src
-I/sherman/admin_pohl/downloads/openafs-1.4.8pre2/src -dy -Bdynamic  -c
fc_test.c
"fc_test.c", line 56: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 240
"fc_test.c", line 56: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 230
"fc_test.c", line 56: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 130
"fc_test.c", line 56: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 238
"fc_test.c", line 56: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 172
"fc_test.c", line 56: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 152
"fc_test.c", line 57: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 228
"fc_test.c", line 57: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 132
"fc_test.c", line 57: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 195
"fc_test.c", line 57: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 216
"fc_test.c", line 57: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 170
"fc_test.c", line 57: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 174
"fc_test.c", line 57: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 247
"fc_test.c", line 58: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 210
"fc_test.c", line 58: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 217
"fc_test.c", line 58: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 163
"fc_test.c", line 58: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 181
"fc_test.c", line 58: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 215
"fc_test.c", line 59: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 245
"fc_test.c", line 59: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 209
"fc_test.c", line 59: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 248
"fc_test.c", line 59: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 145
"fc_test.c", line 59: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 172
"fc_test.c", line 59: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 146
"fc_test.c", line 60: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 239
"fc_test.c", line 65: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 202
"fc_test.c", line 65: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 144
"fc_test.c", line 65: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 245
"fc_test.c", line 65: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 157
"fc_test.c", line 65: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 203
"fc_test.c", line 65: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 212
"fc_test.c", line 65: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 210
"fc_test.c", line 65: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 136
"fc_test.c", line 66: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 157
"fc_test.c", line 66: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 216
"fc_test.c", line 66: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 224
"fc_test.c", line 66: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 163
"fc_test.c", line 67: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 254
"fc_test.c", line 67: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 221
"fc_test.c", line 67: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 224
"fc_test.c", line 67: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 137
"fc_test.c", line 68: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 142
"fc_test.c", line 68: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 140
"fc_test.c", line 68: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 148
"fc_test.c", line 68: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 252
"fc_test.c", line 68: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 199
"fc_test.c", line 68: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 228
"fc_test.c", line 68: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 136
"fc_test.c", line 68: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 170
"fc_test.c", line 68: warning: initializer does not fit or is out of
range: 222
"fc_test.c", line 107: warning: argument #1 is incompatible with prototype:
        prototype: pointer to struct ktc_encryptionKey {array[8] of char
data} : "rxkad_prototypes.h", line 29
        argument : pointer to const unsigned char
"fc_test.c", line 109: warning: argument #1 is incompatible with prototype:
        prototype: pointer to void : "rxkad_prototypes.h", line 33
        argument : pointer to const char
"fc_test.c", line 124: warning: argument #1 is incompatible with prototype:
        prototype: pointer to struct ktc_encryptionKey {array[8] of char
data} : "rxkad_prototypes.h", line 29
        argument : pointer to const unsigned char
"fc_test.c", line 126: warning: argument #1 is incompatible with prototype:
        prototype: pointer to void : "rxkad_prototypes.h", line 33
        argument : pointer to const char
"fc_test.c", line 141: warning: argument #1 is incompatible with prototype:
        prototype: pointer to struct ktc_encryptionKey {array[8] of char
data} : "rxkad_prototypes.h", line 29
        argument : pointer to const unsigned char
"fc_test.c", line 149: warning: argument #2 is incompatible with prototype:
        prototype: pointer to array[16] of const int :
"rxkad_prototypes.h", line 22
        argument : pointer to int
"fc_test.c", line 149: warning: argument #3 is incompatible with prototype:
        prototype: pointer to array[2] of const int :
"rxkad_prototypes.h", line 22
        argument : pointer to unsigned int
"fc_test.c", line 150: warning: argument #2 is incompatible with prototype:
        prototype: pointer to array[16] of const int :
"rxkad_prototypes.h", line 18
        argument : pointer to int
"fc_test.c", line 150: warning: argument #3 is incompatible with prototype:
        prototype: pointer to array[2] of const int :
"rxkad_prototypes.h", line 18
        argument : pointer to unsigned int
"fc_test.c", line 162: warning: argument #1 is incompatible with prototype:
        prototype: pointer to struct ktc_encryptionKey {array[8] of char
data} : "rxkad_prototypes.h", line 29
        argument : pointer to const unsigned char
"fc_test.c", line 165: warning: argument #1 is incompatible with prototype:
        prototype: pointer to struct ktc_encryptionKey {array[8] of char
data} : "rxkad_prototypes.h", line 29
        argument : pointer to const unsigned char
"fc_test.c", line 181: warning: argument #1 is incompatible with prototype:
        prototype: pointer to void : "rxkad_prototypes.h", line 33
        argument : pointer to const char
"fc_test.c", line 185: warning: argument #1 is incompatible with prototype:
        prototype: pointer to void : "rxkad_prototypes.h", line 33
        argument : pointer to const char

Stefan Pohl

--
Stefan Pohl | pohl@syssoft.uni-trier.de | pohl@informatik.uni-trier.de