[OpenAFS] Re: Linking GPL3 code with IPL? (Was: afs_syscall (Samba as a client of OpenAFS))

Volker Lendecke Volker.Lendecke@SerNet.DE
Mon, 6 Oct 2008 21:34:54 +0200

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L

On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 09:25:04PM +0200, G=E9mes G=E9za wrote:
> Unfortunately this time it seems to be a lot harder, the main change
> being at least to my understanding, the fact that the openafs kernel
> module doesn't advertise its services as a system call, and thus we
> cannot link with just libc code which calls into the kernel, but need to
> explicitly use openafs calls for the same propose resulting in a need to
> link to their code.
> Hope is not lost totally yet as I've read about some work of developing
> a GPL licensed kernel module, and then we could use some glue code from
> there.

While not having looked at AFS code, it must at the end come
down to some syscall. Either an ioctl, a write call to some
code in /proc/whatever, or something else. 99% the coding
work is just setting up the right structures and make that
call.

Volker

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L--