[OpenAFS] Re: Win2K AFS server, setup SL4.5 test-cell server then migrate...

avison48 avison48@yahoo.co.uk
Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:44:12 +0000 (GMT)

Respectful greetings AFS gurus,

In trying to migrate the account-data & user-data off this antique Win2K
IBM/TransArc3.5 AFS server onto RHEL4.5 OpenAfs server (& retire the Win2K
server);
would this idea work:

I believe the RHEL4.5 server can become a secondary fileserver & database
server to this antique Win2K AFS server. That would enable it to mirror all
the user-account info & user-data - correct?

No clients at all would point to it - just want it to mirror all the data.

Would it then be possible to shutdown AFS services on this new server,
and configure it as an AFS server _not_ secondary to the antique Win2K AFS
server, but as "the" AFS server of the afs cell.
(I believe if it does not know about / try to contact the other AFS
server, it could exist)
With its own kerberos server running on it, its own Keyfile.
Still with no AFS clients except itself.

If it could "wake up" and own all the user-accounts & user-data as its own,
in its status as an AFS server (not secondary) - that would be great.

I'm concerned about where in its ... mirroring of user-account & user-data,
would be critical ties or references to its old "master" AFS server.

Would that work?

If not, how can the data with all the ACLs & etc be transferred to a new
server?

With humble gratitude to your kindness in helping!
=0A=0A=0A