[OpenAFS] Openafs broken on Ubuntu Hardy ?

Todd Lewis utoddl@email.unc.edu
Tue, 14 Oct 2008 22:35:26 -0400

On 10/14/2008 04:24 PM, Madhusudan Singh wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Jeffrey Altman
> <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com <mailto:jaltman@secure-endpoints.com>> wrote:
>
>     Madhusudan Singh wrote:
>      >         :$ cd /afs/YYY.edu/users/X/Y/Z/XYZABC
>      >         bash: cd: /afs/YYY.edu/users/X/Y/Z/XYZABC: Permission denied
>      >
>      >     This look like the user you authenticate as, simply doesn't
>     have the
>      >     required permissions to access the directory.
>      >
>      >
>      > Impossible. I can ssh into the server with the same username and
>      > password without any issues.
>
>     Does your local client have a token for the XYZABC user?
>

> I was dearly hoping to avoid such questions by mentioning this rather
> prominently (along with o/p's of tokens and klist) in my initial post on
> the thread. Please refer to that.

Patience, friend. We're only trying to help. Do you want your problem
fixed or what? Jeffrey's a busy guy; whether he'll have the time to
refer back to old messages is not to be taken for granted.

I'm not such a busy guy, so I did refer to your initial post. It
contains much detail that many initial reports/requests for help often
lack. However, crucial information is also obviously obfuscated. You're
clearly aware of many issues that could be related to the problem, and
no doubt you've taken great care in providing relevant info while
covering your privacy issues. However, given that you don't know what's
causing the problem, it's possible that the key piece of missing info
was destroyed in the obfuscation process. (Granted, I didn't see any
likely candidates while reviewing your initial post again.)

So, I have no solution to offer, no theory to explain the phenomenon
you're seeing. But I will offer this advice: When people are offering to
help, and ask a simple question, it may well be worth the time for you,
a single individual, to repeat the relevant test and provide the new
output rather than expecting N-1 list subscribers to go back and review
your initial post. What you've described can be explained exactly by
having the wrong tokens (which is what I'm betting on still, even having
reviewed you i/p). Double checking never hurts.

[Almost relevant aside: This afternoon, my reasonably intelligent
neighbor asked me to come over and see if I could coax her new monitor
into working again. She'd tried everything. Turns out both ends of the
power cable have to be firmly plugged in. When you finally crack this
problem, you're likely to find it's something like that.]

I'll stop preaching and ask the only other thing that comes to mind. Is
your home volume on a different server from the volumes above it? If so,
how far off are the clocks on the parent server, your home volume
server, and your client? (Probably not relevant, maybe not even a
possible source of the problem, but if it's not wrong tokens, you gotta
look elsewhere...)
--
Todd_Lewis@not.really.obfuscated.edu