[OpenAFS] server configuration error

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:08:55 +0200 (CEST)

> Our problem is the lack of performance and reliability of CIFS/SMB
> across VPN, I found openAFS and I thought that it would be worth to
> giving it a chance.

I guess that reliability will improve. If performance will improve
would be guessing real hard.

> As some windows applications must run in the server, moving it to linux is not an option.

Because there is only one server or because these applications today
use the file system that is exported by SMB? In AFS, you always access
AFS space through a client mount, not the files on the server.

> Installing a virtualized linux machine in the server could be an
> option. But it will add levels of complexity to the system, and I
> would not lilke that.

Another aspect is security. I like my AFS servers separate.

Harald.