[OpenAFS] Linux kernel and corresponding OpenAFS upgrade packages

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Tue, 21 Oct 2008 14:27:31 -0400

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Jaime Cifuentes <jcifuen@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Our OS team tried to upgrade the RedHat Enterprise Linux servers. Originally
> they stated the new kernel level was 78.0.1, so our senior coworker obtained
> the OpenAFS packages we needed for that kernel. He downloaded
> kmod-openafs-smp-1.4.7-1.1.2.6.9_78.0.1.EL.i686.rpm,
> kmod-openafs-1.4.7-1.1.2.6.9_78.0.1.EL.i686.rpm, and
> kmod-openafs-hugemem-1.4.7-1.1.2.6.9_78.0.1.EL.i686.rpm. However, when they
> (the OS team) updated the kernel, they upgraded it to 78.0.5, and being this
> server an OpenAFS fileserver, they decided to not install the AFS packages
> above, because they did not know if those were the correct packages for
> OpenAFS.
>
> The senior member has left the company, but did not tell us how to determine
> what OpenAFS packages work with what Linux kernel. So, I have two questions:
>
> How do I determine what OpenAFS packages are needed for a given OS kernel,

every kernel has its own module package, named with the complete
kernel version in the rpm name. If it's not there we haven't uploaded
the build yet (and if so, I apologize)

> and/or
> what specific packages do I need for RedHat Enterprise Linux 78.0.5?

if you have yum enabled you can set up the machine with our repo rpm
to just find the kmods you need.

--
Derrick