openafs foundation & cross-project integration (was Re: [OpenAFS] Adding -fPIC to openafs rpms builds?)

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Fri, 31 Oct 2008 13:32:54 -0400

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 1:23 PM, Jason Edgecombe
<jason@rampaginggeek.com> wrote:
> Derrick Brashear wrote:
>> This came up on the waklog devel list. Why the (shared, and thus PIC)
>> libraries are not being linked I can't say. waklog should *only* be
>> making the AFS syscall. You don't even need all the libraries. It
>> should either
>> 1) link *shared* libafsrpc
>> or
>> 2) provide its own syscall stub (license-reusable one in heimdal)
>> or
>> 3) try to link libkafs/libkopenafs
>>
>> Changing all the RPMs because waklog's build system is wrong? Bad idea.
>>

> Is one of the goals of the new foundation to help with integration
> between related projects?

Absolutely.

> If not, can that be added? I'm not assigning
> blame. Integration issues with projects like mod_waklog need to be
> addressed if we want openafs to succeed.

Agreed. In particular, we need to provide documentation explaining how
OpenAFS should be used to do various things, by things which will link
our libraries to do so. This is one of those.

--
Derrick