[OpenAFS] OpenAFS for Windows cache options

John Perkins john@cs.wisc.edu
Tue, 9 Sep 2008 14:42:30 -0500

Some questions that have come up at our site recently after some review
of our OpenAFS client setup.  We're running Windows XP with OpenAFS
1.5.52 or 1.5.30-36 clients.

1.  Is there a general recommendation for cache size these days?  We had
been setting the cache size to 1GB if there was what we thought to be
enough memory on the host.  Recently that has caused problems on some
computers, so we've reduced that to 512MB.  Still, this is much larger
than the 98MB default.

2.  Is there a recommendation toward using or not using the
"NonPersistentCaching" (virtual-memory cache or "normal" file cache)?

3.  Whether or not the NonPersistentCaching option is in use,
the following command:
	cmdebug -server <hostname> -cache
returns the following as part of its output:
	Cache type:    memory
afsd_init.log shows cache type FILE or VIRTUAL as expected; it's just
cmdebug that appears to be confused about this.

   John Perkins			  |   University of Wisconsin-Madison
   Researcher		  	  |   Department of Computer Science
   john@cs.wisc.edu		  |   1210 W. Dayton St.
   608-262-0438/608-262-6626 FAX  |   Madison, WI  53706-1685