[OpenAFS] PAG garbage collection on linux

Andy Cobaugh phalenor@gmail.com
Fri, 12 Sep 2008 00:51:14 -0400 (EDT)

I recently ran into a situation where I had a process on linux that gets
pags probably 10 times per minute on linux (dovecot, fwiw). After 3 weeks
of uptime after upgrading afs to 1.4.7, we had to reboot the machine, as
we were no longer able to create new pags.

This is on debian stable, kernel 2.6.18-6-amd64, and afs 1.4.7 as
previously mentioned.

/proc/sys/afs/GCPAGS gets set to 8, which from my understanding means it
was unable to walk the process tree.

I see that it works with 1.4.7 on fedora 9 with a 2.6.25 kernel.

I have since reworked my dovecot setup so that imap logins don't
needlessly get tokens and create a pag (the entire dovecot process stack
already runs in a pag with tokens for a pts user with appropriate access).

I am curious what combinations of linux kernel / openafs that GC actually
works. This would be helpful to know, and I'm sure others would benefit
from this as well.

Thanks.

--andy