[OpenAFS] Migration to Kerberos 5

Gedaliah Wolosh gwolosh@njit.edu
Thu, 2 Apr 2009 11:15:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, the 8th of Nisan, 5769 (04/2/2009) Wheeler, JF (Jonathan) wrote:

> I have been studying the documentation for migrating from "Kerberos 4"
> to Kerberos 5 for AFS as written by Ken Hornstein.  The version of the
> document that I have is dated 1998 so is a little old.  Is there a
> newer version anywhere ?  If not, can someone please answer the
> following question: the document suggests that the Kerberos 5 package
> needs to be rebuilt from source to allow the addition of patches.
> This is not something we normally do as we install almost all our
> software via Linux RPMs.  Does this still need to be done or are the
> relevant programs now available in RPMs somewhere ?  For example, I
> cannot find program asetkey.

Most of Ken's package was incorporated either into MIT krb5 or openafs.
For example, asetkey is found in the openafs-krb5 rpm. fakeka is in the
current MIT krb5 but needs to be enabled when built. I don't think it is
built by default and may not be enabled in the RPM you are using.

The one orphaned piece from Ken's package you may need if you use MIT is
afs2krb5. This will convert your KA database to krb5 database. It is not
really maintained anymore and is a bit of a pain to build but you only
need to use it once. If you go with heimdal you don't need it at all.

Gedaliah Wolosh
University Computing Systems - IST
New Jersey Institute of Technology