[OpenAFS] openafs and tivoli backup client

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Thu, 2 Apr 2009 12:09:15 -0500

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:
> Vladimir Konrad <v.konrad@lse.ac.uk> writes:
>> Do you know a way to persuade IBM Tivoli client to do backup of
>> openafs file-system?
>
> Not any more.  Tivoli dropped support for AFS.  We have old binaries
> that we're still using because they've not broken the API (yet), but
> I don't think we're allowed to give them out, and they're not really
> a long-term solution for anyone anyway.

I'm fairly certain the TSM 5.1 client here has AFS support (as I use it
now):
ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/storage/tivoli-storage-management/maintenance/client/v5r1/AIX/AIX32bit/v517/

AFS file level support only works from the AIX client.  (You can force
it to install on AIX newer than 5.1, but it isn't easy.  I'd recomend
installing AIX 5.1, then the AFS tsm client and then upgrade to
something newer if you need to.)

We have many filesystems defined within TSM (one per volume) on our TSM
5.2 server and I haven't heard any complaints from the TSM admins about
it.

<<CDC