[OpenAFS] openafs and tivoli backup client

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Thu, 2 Apr 2009 13:45:01 -0500

Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:
> "Christopher D. Clausen" <cclausen@acm.org> writes:
>> Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:
>>> Not any more.  Tivoli dropped support for AFS.  We have old binaries
>>> that we're still using because they've not broken the API (yet),
>>> but I don't think we're allowed to give them out, and they're not
>>> really a long-term solution for anyone anyway.
>>
>> I'm fairly certain the TSM 5.1 client here has AFS support (as I use
>> it now):
>> ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/storage/tivoli-storage-management/maintenance/client/v5r1/AIX/AIX32bit/v517/
>
> Oh, I didn't realize they still had the 5.1 client available.  Yes,
> that approach will work for the time being if that comes with the
> *.afs binary.
>
> Note, though, that the current version of Tivoli is 5.5, and I'm
> fairly sure that later versions no longer include AFS support.  We've
> been told by IBM that they do not support it and eventually it will
> break.

I too have heard that, but there are still machines on campus using the
3.x TSM client, so I'm not too worried about 5.1 breaking anytime soon.
Additionally, I don't think we're planning on upgrading our TSM server
(5.2) anytime soon either.

<<CDC