[OpenAFS] Servers behind NAT, revisited

Ryan C. Underwood nemesis-lists@icequake.net
Sat, 4 Apr 2009 22:44:06 -0500

--IJpNTDwzlM2Ie8A6

I have a Linux NAT router with several private network interfaces.  I am
attempting to make the fileservers, which must be behind the NAT for
various reasons, accessible to clients on the NAT as well as to external
clients and clients that roam from inside to outside and back.

Things I am fuzzy on:

Is it possible to run the dbserver behind a NAT?  If not, can it be run
on the multihomed NAT router without problems?

Can two fileservers run on the same external IP address, i.e., with
different ranges of ports forwarded, or must each server always have a
unique IP address?

What are the Server-behind-NAT implications of the following aspects of
AFS:
- AFSDB record
- Server's CellServDB
- Client's CellServDB
- bos listhosts
- vos listaddrs
- fs getclientprefs

If the db server is behind the NAT, should a roaming client use
CellServDB, AFSDB, or both somehow?

I have created on the fileserver, which also has the db server as of
now, a NetInfo file with the recommended:
<Internal IP>
f <External IP>

Yet, the dbserver only seems to advertise the internal ip address of the
fileserver.  I don't really see why this is the case.

I feel like I am missing something very obvious, but I'm baffled.

Thanks in advance.

--=20
Ryan C. Underwood, <nemesis@icequake.net>

--IJpNTDwzlM2Ie8A6