[OpenAFS] Windows client problems - some questions

Mon, 06 Apr 2009 13:31:50 -0400

Jeff Blaine wrote:
> Jeffrey Altman wrote:
>> The list of IP addresses on the machine is unstable.
>> The netbios name registration is being lost because the
>> IP address it was bound to on the loopback adapter no
>> longer exists.  afsd_service.exe attempts to recover
>> by rebinding and the same event reoccurs.
>>
>> Is the IP address bound to the loopback adapter in
>> use somewhere else in your network?  Is there a routing
>> conflict?
>
> 10.254.254.253 is not in use somewhere else in my network
> if that's the address you're referring to (the loopback
> adapter / afs).
>
> 192.168.1.3 is the "real" NIC's address, which is my home
> network.
>
> VPN-ing into work gets another address which is neither
> 192.x nor 10.x
>
> I can see RX data between the servers and the VPN
> interface when I try \\afs\our.org (obviously very
> little, however)

The issue is outside AFS.  The problem is either your
VPN software or something else within the Windows networking
stack or something on your home network that Windows is
reacting to.

AFS is doing everything in its power to maintain the
connection.  Nothing it can do when the network underneath
it is being torn out.

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you.