[OpenAFS] Migrating fully a server to a new machine, best practice

Mircea Ciocan mircea.ciocan@cmosvision.com
Tue, 14 Apr 2009 15:09:00 +0200

Derrick Brashear wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 8:36 AM, Mircea Ciocan
> <mircea.ciocan@cmosvision.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I need to migrate our afs server to a new ( and with different hardware )
>> machine. The original server is also the master machine and so will be the
>> new one, basically is an one server setup.
>> So now being at this task for the first time I would like to ask the more
>> experienced list members about the best way ( aka non-destructive ;) to do
>> such a migration.
>> There is no need for the original volumes to be accessible during the
>> migration but what I'm searching for is a the most secure way to do the
>> migration from the data integrity protection p.o.v.
>>

> if you also don't immediately need the old server, use vos move with
> the -nodelete option; it will leave the old copies on the old server
> behind (but not in the vldb)
>
> i further assume you want to create new replicas rather than migrating
> existing replicas (readonly volumes), if you want to move the old
> ones, you can use vos dump and vos restore, and vos restore also
> includes a -nodelete option.
>
> you don't need to reconfigure clients fileserver-wise; if you're
> moving database server functionality, you do need to deal with that on
> the clients

 First thanks David for your quick and nice answer.

 OK, so vos move is the best option for volume moving, now I have a
silly question, the new server is pristine, do I have to move root.afs
also, is there an option to fully copy all the volumes altogether ?
And about the server databse functionality,  I would like to have this
moved as well, is there something that will dump and allow me to restore
ALL the database functionality ( users, permissions, etc ).
In the end I would like to change the IP/name of the new server to the
ones of the old server as the old one will be retired, is that
advisable, are there any pitfalls ?
Speaking of pitfalls if the migration fails, how do I restore the
previous volumes ( that will be moved with --nodelete option ).
Please excuse the newbieness of the question, I did read the
documentation but I'm a bit scared of the task and need some reassurance
from the gurus ;).

 Thank you and best regards,
 Mircea