[OpenAFS] Migrating fully a server to a new machine, best practice

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Tue, 14 Apr 2009 08:42:47 -0400

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 8:36 AM, Mircea Ciocan
<mircea.ciocan@cmosvision.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to migrate our afs server to a new ( and with different hardware )
> machine. The original server is also the master machine and so will be the
> new one, basically is an one server setup.
> So now being at this task for the first time I would like to ask the more
> experienced list members about the best way ( aka non-destructive ;) to do
> such a migration.
> There is no need for the original volumes to be accessible during the
> migration but what I'm searching for is a the most secure way to do the
> migration from the data integrity protection p.o.v.

if you also don't immediately need the old server, use vos move with
the -nodelete option; it will leave the old copies on the old server
behind (but not in the vldb)

i further assume you want to create new replicas rather than migrating
existing replicas (readonly volumes), if you want to move the old
ones, you can use vos dump and vos restore, and vos restore also
includes a -nodelete option.

you don't need to reconfigure clients fileserver-wise; if you're
moving database server functionality, you do need to deal with that on
the clients