[OpenAFS] Migrating fully a server to a new machine, best practice

Felix Frank Felix.Frank@Desy.de
Wed, 15 Apr 2009 07:32:03 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009, Mircea Ciocan wrote:

> Derrick Brashear wrote:
> [snip]
>> if you also don't immediately need the old server, use vos move with
>> the -nodelete option; it will leave the old copies on the old server
>> behind (but not in the vldb)
>>
> [snip]
>
> OK, I've tried vos move command but it seem not to have -nodelete option
> ?!?!?!?
> # vos  move -verbose -nodelete -id home -fromserver afs -frompartiton /vicepa
> -toserver afs2 -topartition /vicepa
> vos: Unrecognized or ambiguous switch '-nodelete'; type 'vos help move' for
> detailed help

Oops, there seems to have been a mistake, indeed. -nodelete is available
for vos restore, which you can perform subsequent to vos dump.

Dump all volumes to files and restore them on the new server. This even has
the added benefit that as long as you retain the dump files, you have an
additional layer of data safety.

Use vos restore -nodelete to follow the original instructions.

You may want to declare a downtime for the volumes in question for this
two-step move operation, though. This is not necessary when using vos
move. Your choice. There are virtually no risks in doing "vos move" that I
am aware of.

Regards
Felix