[OpenAFS] Problem with current directory

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Mon, 27 Apr 2009 11:44:16 +0200 (CEST)

> One problem that occurs for some of the Unix people is that the
> current directory sometimes gets lost. It seems to happen during
> weekends, when tickets/tokens expire. Also, it only seems to happen
> for people using KDE (but not gnome??).

It may be that KDE is doing "but I want to access $HOME _all_ the
time" and the fileserver then mobbing out that client after trying
many times without permission.

> Everyone here uses tcsh.

That's so last century, but that should not have an impact on the
problem.

> Our AFS servers are all running:
> Redhat Enterprise Linux 5.3 (x86_64)
> OpenAFS 1.4.8
>
> The Client with the problem (Sunray server for people who have moved to AFS):
> Redhat Enterprise Linux 4.7 (x86_64).
> OpenAFS 1.4.6

For your problem, it might be good to upgrade to at least 1.4.7, but because of
the security problem I'd upgrade the client all the way to 1.4.10.

> It's all pretty vague, but it does happen for many people. From what
> I can see, it is connected to tokens/tickets that have expired
> during weekends (people logged on but with locked screens). It's
> only noticable on terminal windows that are CD'ed to the home
> directory. Doing a 'cd' makes things work again.

Doing a cd where makes things work again?

What
> The tickets and tokens are refreshed when unlocking the screen
> blanker. The windows in question do have tokens (after unlocking the
> screen). Also, according to the prompt (and by looking at command
> history), the CWD should be the home directory.
> ~> pwd
> pwd: cannot get current directory: No such file or directory
>
> ~> /bin/pwd
> /bin/pwd: cannot get current directory: No such file or directory
>
> ~> cd
>
> ~> pwd
> /afs/ltu.se/staff/s/sh

$ fs la ltu.se/staff/s
fs: You don't have the required access rights on 'ltu.se/staff/s'

Seems you don't have system:anyuser list. It would probably make
your life easier if you had that down to $HOME and then give
your users a $HOME/Private/ and a $HOME/Public/.

Harald.