[OpenAFS] Tips for usin on LAN

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Sat, 01 Aug 2009 17:27:49 -0400

admin@tbb.sk wrote:
> Hallo,
>  I try using OpenAFS on LAN as fileserver. I want ask for any tips. We
> have at about 200 Windows and Mac clients  and 1TB data.
>
> I have two problems.
>
> The first problem is speed on LAN. It is 5x slower as Novell Netware 6.5
> or 4.12.
>
> The seccond problem is cache call back. How to set properties of files
> (for example XLS, Doc files ) when files modifying multiple users.
> It is possible  lock file on the server when the first user open file with
> RW  permissions ?
>
> Is AFS + Object storage solution for me ? Does anybody know any good guide
> for object storage or docu ? I have read AFS+ Object storage
> from  Hartmut Reuter.

Hi Roman,

5x slower than Novell sounds wrong. Are there any firewalls between the
fileserver and clients? Are there any firewalls on the clients or servers?

What versions of openafs are you running on the clients and server?

Locking should work for MS Office documents on windows clients with
recent OpenAFS clients and servers.

Object storage is an advanced AFS topic. I recommend getting a normal
OpenAFS cell working well and getting some experience before adding
object storage to the mix.

Jason